The Semester in Environmental Science (SES)
This program is a 15-week fall semester at the Ecosystems Center of the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, Massachusetts. The curriculum provides an intensive field and laboratory-based introduction to ecosystem science and the biogeochemistry of coastal forests, freshwater ponds and estuaries.
Why Study at the Marine Biological Lab (MBL) at SES?
Who Can Apply?
- To connect with the world-class Woods Hole scientific community
- To deepen your knowledge about global change and the complex feedbacks and unexpected consequences of human impacts on the planet
- To learn science by doing it—gaining experience in field and lab research
- To meet inspiring and like-minded student colleagues
- To get wet and muddy, have fun, and work hard!
Rhodes students who win the Charles Robertson Environmental Studies & Sciences Scholarship are authorized to participate in this opportunity. Each year, this scholarship is awarded to one student. Interested students must make an appointment with the Chair of the Environmental Science/Studies program at Rhodes in advance of the application deadline to discuss the program and the scholarship.
Eligible applicants will attain sophomore, junior or senior standing by the start of the program and will have a minimum GPA of 2.75. By the time of application, applicants need to have read and understood Rhodes policies regarding Off-Campus Study.
To be considered for the Robertson Scholarship and the Semester in Environmental Science, applicants must complete each of these items by the scholarship deadline:
How Does the Award Work with Rhodes' Aid?
- Robertson Scholarship application through the Online Portal
- Off-Campus Study application through the Online Portal (what you are looking at right now)
- Application to the MBL Semester in Environmental Science (www.mbl.edu/SES/admissions)
If selected for this award, Rhodes will charge your Rhodes student account for the SES/MBL invoice amount and then add the Robertson award (typically $18,000) and any federal/state and institutional aid for which you are eligible to your account. Once the invoice amount is showing on your account and your aid is finalized, the Bursar at Rhodes will email you with the final balance due, if any.
For more information visit https://www.mbl.edu/ses/