Rhodes Summer School in London
Location and Dates:
We will live in the residence halls at the University of London, Goldsmiths, in New Cross, London for the duration of the program: July 3-August 1.
Participate in this intensive four-week study abroad opportunity to learn about British literature, history, art (and more!) from prehistoric through contemporary times. The immersion program includes highlighted excursions to famous sites and landmarks such as Stonehenge, the British Museum, Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre, and many more. It also includes an overnight trip to Paris, France! The courses are taught by American and British professors.
Excursions for 2020 include: London sightseeing walking tour, West End musical theatre show, visit to Shakespeare's Globe Theatre to see a play, the British Museum, the Houses of Parliament, art galleries and other London museums, a day trip to Stonehenge, an overnight trip to Paris, and many more!
Students will stay in residence halls at the University of London, Goldsmiths (in the New Cross area of London). Each room is a single with a bathroom (shower). There is a fully-stocked kitchen for your use on each floor of the residence hall.
Most meals are cooked for us each day; students are given grocery store vouchers to spend on food for yourself on the days where cooked meals are not provided. This way students have flexibility, not only with their eating and nutrition choices, but also when wanting to sight-see or spend time off campus.
Students are also given a monthly Oyster card (valid for Tube, bus, some boats within London) so that they can travel around London at their convenience and attend group outings/excursions when they are held off campus.
We also provide airport pick-up and drop-off BUT students *must* arrive and leave on the start and end dates of the program. The program begins on the evening of Friday, July 3 (with orientation and dinner out) and ends on the morning of Saturday, August 1, when we must be out of the residence halls.
All courses are held in the mornings, leaving the afternoons free for scheduled excursions, study, and exploration. Students choose two 4-credit courses for a total of 8 credits:
9:00-10:15 am (choose one):
- Search 201: British Studies track (F1) (HUM 201 - 4 credits) – we will read Shakespeare, Equiano, Keats, Wordsworth, Woolf, Wilde, Zadie Smith, and more (To be taught by Dr. Vanessa Rogers, Rhodes College)
- Contemporary Art in London (F3) (ART 265 - 4 credits)- includes trips to famous London museums to see the masterpieces you are learning about!
10:45-12:00 (choose one):
- Britain and the Lure of Renaissance Art (F5*) (ART 265* - 4 credits) – includes trips to famous London museums to see the masterpieces you are learning about! (To be taught by Dr. Victor Coonin, Rhodes College)
Literary London and English Decadence (F4) (ENGL 265 (or 365 by permission of English Dept. Chair and prior arrangement with Program Director) - 4 credits) – will be taught by the world-renowned Goldsmiths English faculty
Students will receive an F11 credit for studying abroad, in addition to the 2 foundations credits offered by their chosen courses.
Minimum GPA of 2.75 (or with program director's approval) and be in good academic and social standing
Summer 2020 cost: $7,300.
WHAT IS INCLUDED: Tuition for two 8-credit courses, all meals, housing, events and excursions (including overnight trip to Paris, France), airport reception, resident directors, on-site orientation, a £100 Oyster card (for London transport), and social and cultural activities.
NOT INCLUDED: Transatlantic airfare, passport/visa fees, and books
Professor Vanessa Rogers
Need-Based Scholarship Applicants
- Apply Here
- Summer Scholarship Process:Students with need are urged to apply early, before the Summer Scholarship Application closes on December 15.
- Need based award amounts will vary, based on each student's individual FAFSA report. Some awards may cover as much as 100% of the program cost, though most applicants will receive less than that.
- Students choosing to withdraw their Off-Campus Study Application for a Rhodes Summer Program* must do so BY JANUARY 15. Following January 15, Rhodes′ "Program Fees and Billing" Policy, and Rhodes′ "Cancellation and Refund" Policy will apply. Follow this link to review our Policies.